I Am an Iranian Daughter

Iran`s Historical Monuments,Iranian`s ceremonies,and some times my Thoughts, Diary...

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Yalda (the longest night)



Tonight is the longest night in the year.it is the last night of Autumn and tomorrow winter will com.Iranians called it Yalda and try to celebrate it by having meeting and family party,eating different fruits -specially water melon and pomegranate -and nuts,reading Hafez poems.


We enjoy to be together with whom we love and ask God to bless us during the cold days of winter.water melon and pomegranate are the two fruit wich is special for the night ,since they are red and reminds fire and heat at the longest night.
Happy Yalda.
p.s you can see "Korsi" in the picture.A table with a tick cloth on it and a nice table cloth on.In the past Iranian put some semi burned wood-now heater-under the table and they sat around it and laid their feet under the cloth .it made them feel hot,as they can talked and enjoy being together.we can see it at some traditional house specially grand parents` house.

5 Comments:

At 7:01 PM , Blogger lotf ali said...

Salam,

I would like to know more about your teaching Farsi to foreigners in Isfahan.

 
At 5:01 AM , Blogger Behrang said...

It's a shame that we don't really celebrate this tradition in the US.

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, can you conider this as private mesage. i see you and i share common interests like linguistics and culture. i have made a forum trying to assemble people who are interested in talk and discussions about everything cultural, from politics to sport, languages, linguistics also. take a look
i am a woman from bahrain

culturei.freeforums.org

 
At 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Madam
I am an expert working for the International Center on Qanats and Historic Hydraulic Structures under the auspices of UNESCO, based in Yazd. I was just surfing the webs when I bumped into your interesting weblog, actually your post on Haseb Karaji. It is very informative. Thanks a lot. I hope you forgive my meddling poking my nose into your profile. Sorry :) just there I learnt that you are interested in the hydraulic historic structures as well as you are involved in leading tours to Yazd. Fantastic! The Historic methods to obtain water in the arid regions of Iran represent how clever our forefathers were to adapt themselves to this harsh nature. It would be a great pleasure for me if I can help you in this respect off course if needed.
Please get in touch with me.
Best wishes
Majid Labbaf
For your kind information:
My email: labbaf_majid@yahoo.com
Tel: 0351-8250553
Mobile: 09132586196

 
At 11:04 AM , Anonymous afnan said...

Is this part of your culture? Im not an iranian so can i ask you something? How would you know that its the last day of winter? how long is the longest night? Hope you will reply to my question. I am wondering...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home